Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Living as a Monctonian !

I have quite a few more posts to go before I catch everything up! Its getting easier to find time to do these kind of things though. Now that we've settled into our host families and community, there is a lot less stress, still many challenges.. but all in moderation! As a group we haven't met a single challenge we haven't been able to overcome to be completely honest :)


So my last post was about the fun days I think? I'm too lazy to go check, but if that is correct then I think the next thing on my list to blog about it my work placement! So here ya go :


Part of the CWY program is that for 3 days a week, both in Canada and the host country overseas, each participant is responsible for volunteering in the community. We are all paired up ( more or less), 1 Canadian to 1 or 2 Ghanaians, and then placed at different work placements throughout Moncton. I was paired with Edem, and instead of just one work placement we got placed in two different places! Tuesday and Wednesday we go to the St. Patricks family center, 9am to 5pm. Its really great!! There are 3 different age groups that I get to work with and they're all pretty good kids, like anywhere, there are some troublemakers!!! But for the most part, they all just want someone who will colour with them and play cards!! I really like it there.


On Thursday, we ( Edem and I) go to Habitat Restore. Its a warehouse where people donate and sell items, anywhere from siding for a house, to couches, light fixtures and thermostats. It involves alot of moving things,measuring things, pricing things. Im making it sound boring, I actually really enjoy it ! Theres always plenty to do and I'm no wimp to phyisical labor! Even if I do have to prove my abilities. I'm the only girl working there so everyone tends to want to give me the easy jobs... Last time I tried to move a skid Edem almost pushed me over trying to help me with it. It was a skid... Everyday I go there I have some fun though, the guy in charge, Ron, is a really interesting person. We had a great conversation about how a single person can make a difference, as long as they don't expect to see an instant change.


All in all, I quite enjoy both work placements. Maybe they wernt my first choices, but im understanding more and more what they mean when they say you get out of this program what your willing to put in! Its so easy to go to work, do your job and then go home. To make it worth it, you have to take innitiative and make it worth it for yourself.


Something I forgot to mention:


This happened the very first week we were in Moncton. So there is this homeless man, of Riverview, where I live. He sits on the lawn by the bridge during the day and then he would move to the bench at dark to sleep. Driving by, Barb (my incredible host mom) explained his system and how she occasionally brought him dinner, after that it was dropped as we carried onto other subjects. A few days later, after dinner we saw her making an extra plate, she then turned to us and said "I'm bringing this to our homeless man, would you like to come?". So we all got in the truck and drove to bring it to him. She said something to us that really ended up sticking in my mind, she said what takes 5 minutes out of our lives to do, makes the difference of someone going to bed hungry, or going to bed full. It just made so much sense. It was such an easy solution, after all we had leftovers that we didn't need, we would have eaten of course, but that we didn't need. He is the one that needed them! 5 minutes can make a difference, in a persons life, and in the world. Its so upsetting to hear people say things like "I'm only one person, what difference can I really make?". A difference doesn't need to  be big, it doesn't need to be recognized either, or noticed at all. A difference, no matter how little, is an effort and that's all that matters. Simple. As. That.


Shall I leave you with that?


Untill next time (tomorrow night if I am up to it ;) )

Pumpkin Juice and Love to all

Jillian xo