Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reflect. and move forward

I woke up early this morning. I always seem to be up before anyone else! I'm also always ready and at the door first usually, which is crazy, if my mom is reading this shes probably rolling her eyes and saying its a lie! Its funny sometimes to think what it will be like when I go back home. Will I keep the new habits Ive made? Or will I get back to how I used to be.

Jessica (our project manager) has said many times, one month in this program can easily be compared to a whole year in relation to how much you learn. I can believe it!! Jess is so wise, she truly is. She has such a great outlook on everything in life, and alot of valuable life experience shes only too happy to share! Something she said that i loved (kind of off topic but hey) was "the longer you are with someone who is wrong for you, the longer your kept from someone who is right for you". Things like this, they just make so much sense. I can talk to Jess about anything and she always knows what to say. Best. Project. Supervisor. EVER.

Okay, now for the story telling, lets start withhhhh..... Shediac!

What is Shediac you might ask? Google it ! There's a giant lobster, beautiful beaches and this really cool house where our group got to stay for a whole weekend for something called Mid- Project. Mid- Project is a time where we get to go away as a group, away from the community, and stay somewhere to reflect on what we have accomplished so far in the program, and what we would like to accomplish in the months to come. Every one was super excited to go! We all remember how fun it was in Tatamagouche, living all together in a house (Tatamagouche easily the best week of my life), so we were looking forward to having a bit of that again. Our group is really amazing, I think I've said that before. I love every single person.  The first night in Parlee Beach, Shediac, was a really emotional and inspirational experience. We had the two project supervisors from another NewBrunswick, Ghana exchange come and facilitate a session. Jess also led one before that. The first activity led by Jess was, well, interesting. She gave us all sheets of paper, and on them we had to write any frustrations we've had since the first day on the program. We would write sentences that began with 'I was sad when', 'I felt like crying when', 'I felt confused when', 'I felt angry when' and so on. After that we threw them all into a pot. Once every one was done, Jess passed out the pieces of paper to everyone to be read aloud. Some things were hurtful to others, some were critical, some were motivating! The whole activity definitely stirred some emotions. BUT, the thing was, after a frustration was read, it had to be ripped up , and thrown into the middle (we were all in a circle). The point of the activity was to move us forward. To forget everything that has caused problems, or hurt us, or harmed our experience in this program. We were to learn from it, and move forward. Once everything negative had been ripped up and thrown away, we moved upstairs, hand on each others shoulders in a chain. Upstairs there were candles all around, and a projector set up. After everyone got comfy, we watched an incredible video in silence together, about what Canada World Youth is all about. About adapting, supporting others, having an open mind, loving what your doing. Appreciating this incredible opportunity given to us and inspiring us to try our very best, because really, you only get as much out of this program as you put in.

The next morning I was up so early, while Charles snored away beside me, I just sat there thinking about what had happened the night before. I remember exactly how I felt. Just happy. I wasn't expecting anything, I wasn't worrying, I was just happy in the moment. Truly the best way to start your day. :) (this is Saturday btw). In the afternoon we got to go to the beach ! It was SO incredibly beautiful. I went for a walk with Teressa and Miles, then we sat in a long foot warming chain, talking about life. It was so wonderful :) Talking about life, that's one thing that can bring you so close to a person. You know, I might not give off this impression, but more than I love talking, I love listening. I love hearing what people have to say, what their opinions are. I love hearing of what they value, what they are passionate about, I want to know it all!! Things that come from the very heart of what makes a person an individual, I love knowing those things especially.

After Teressa and Miles' feet were warm enough, and we had shared enough to think about, I was able to convince Charles to come on a walk with me further down the beach. It was so hard for me not to stop every three steps when I saw a beautiful shell laying in the sand. I swear they talk to me sometimes, they say "Pick me, Im beautiful, Ill brighten your day, love me!". Shells, shells, shells! I love love love them! I felt like I was in a movie at that moment, I kept expecting Charles to pick me up, and swirl me around as a cheesy "you make me happy" song mysteriously started playing from somewhere unknown. Its funny how much I love the cheesy stuff. The little things that a person can do, that make it known you're on their mind. You know, no matter how much I hate and am terrified of butterflies, I have to give it to them, they do a pretty good job at flying around in my stomach and making me smile.

I want to write a romance novel, but not some lame romance. A romance like Thornbirds! One that doesnt make people feel sad and lonely when they read it, but rather, one that makes them feel inspired and excited that love like that is out there. Love that can make you smile, no matter the occasion. It exists you know!

Back to talk about the beach though! Yes, it was beautiful, we couldn't have asked for a better October day. Jacob, being the crazy guy we know him to be, went swimming. Why you might ask? Well, no one really knows, the water was so cold!

After crazy dancing and singing, and cheering for a video game, if was time for bed. I don't know what was different that night, but things were bothering me more than ever. I was missing my family more than I ever had. That night I couldn't fall asleep. I tortured myself until 2:30 in the morning with songs that reminded me of home and family and friends, listening to them over a over again on my Ipod. Ridiculous I know! who would have thought Jillian Ackert would be a home body? And an emotional one too, holy! Finally I woke Charles up, I'm so lucky he was there. He reminded me I'm not alone. He reminded me, even though I left my family back home, I have my new family by my side. That's what this group is for me, I know Ive said it before, Its a family.

The next day, our final day in Shediac. It was so cold! Jess let us all sleep in, it was wonderful! Alot of our activities were cut short that day because of a horrible storm that had rolled in. Many of us had to leave early, for fear that if we didn't, we'd be stranded another night! When I got home, I had the best hot shower, and went to bed at 7 o'clock with my tea and my book. All in all it was a truly wonderful weekend. Mid-Project it something ill never forget.

I was going to tell you about our Halloween experience, along with a few others, but tonight, I am simply too tired!! I promise to blog again soon with even more updates! Because there are just so many :)

Love and miss you all, someone say hi to my friend Ontario for me!

Pumpkin Juice and Love

Jillian xo

OH and here are some pictures :)

Canadian Knot 

Parlee Beach!!


I just love this one :)
Ghanaian meal on saturday night! Yes, you are supposed to eat the fish head