Saturday, September 24, 2011

C.O.W - Moncton

Community orientation week. WOW what a way to discover a community. It all began at tatamagoosh center early Friday morning. After a a delicious breakfast and quick goodbyes to our Saint Johns- Saltpond exchange group, every one in my exchange group went back to pack up our things in Campbell house. This was a sad morning.We all grew so close living together for a whole week, and knowing that that night we were to go home to our separate families that night was a little depressing to everyone. Every time I think about the fact that we've only been together for 3 weeks i get a little freaked out. I feel like Ive known everyone here for ever, and being that were all in this together, experiencing the good and the bad as one unit, they really are becoming my family.


After we made our final goodbyes to the camp, we loaded onto the bus to make our way to Moncton, New Brunswick!! Although it was a 2 hour bus ride, the time passed so quickly! I sat with Charles, one of the Canadian boys, and we spoke french the whole way there, my sister doubted that I would get any practicing done, but opportunities are constantly showing up and I can see an improvement in my french everyday as the weeks pass.When we arrived in Moncton, I was so excited!! In a matter of minutes I was going to meet my host family of 3 months! The minute I saw them, I knew I was going to love them, and I do! After staying up for a bit and getting to know our new family, we all headed to bed, it had been such a long day. Now if I were to describe the weekend that followed, you would probably see it as pretty boring, but to us it was wonderful! From the day we met the team to the day we met our families, we were non stop, on the go, up late, and woke up early... Saturday and Sunday we RELAXED. It was so great.


Monday came along with tired faces but rested minds. Everyone was fully ready to take on the days ahead. The week was super packed with alot of informational sessions, but also a lot of breaks and free time! We organised different committees, group norms, work placements and E.A.D subjects and partners. I forget what E.A.D stands for but they are educational days ran on Mondays, where a group of two teaches the rest of the group about his or her subject. I was paired with Ben which is really going to be alot of fun, but Charles and Mary deviously stole our subject of religion (for which I was very excited to research) so we got stuck with transportation.


During our free time throughout the week we meta few challenges. Miscommunication led to people getting separated and frustrated. Its very difficult for us Canadians to work and live with those from another culture as different as Ghana's, but it is no less difficult for the Ghanaians to work with us Canadians. This cultural difference is the root of many of our groups issues. We meet many challenges, but as we overcome each one, it makes us stronger as one. Things like the different concepts of time are forcing the Ghanaians to adapt to our Canadian ways for this portion of the exchange. They have it hard, being that our exchange has the Canadian phase first, but each day were learning as a group and before long I know we will be able to tackle whatever comes our way with ease, despite our cultural differences.


On our free time during community orientation week, we were able to explore the town, walk the beautiful boardwalk along the river, see the parks, and alot more! It also entailed many trips to the mall where I was forced to invest in some jeans from American eagle. After being told by Eddie that people would point and laugh at me in Ghana for my boy pants and overall appearance, I thought it wise to have at least one pair of girl pants. Was I insulted? Not at all :) I love wearing boy clothes, they are SO comfortably, they're never too tight and they fit the way I like... But I had been missing my style from back home a little bit. I hardly brought any nice clothes with me so I thought what the heck, i deserve a cute pair of jeans :) Most Canadians have a very hard time saying what is on there mind. Whether its telling someone off when they hurt your feelings, telling someone there's something wrong with their appearance, or doing anything that might in any way ever hurt somebodies feelings. The Ghanaian culture Ive found is very different. Of course they don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, but they are not afraid to speak their mind. I truly admire them for that! The other day I was having a conversation with Ben and after it had finished, he turned to me and said "now go get some lip stuff, your lips are chapped and dry". I laughed so hard! No one but my mother or sisters would  have been able to say something like that to me, Ben was simply stating something he noticed with the thought that I would probably like to know. I love it.


Today we are having a picnic in the park with the group, after which I think we are going apple picking, so I must leave you with this. Stay tuned for my next post, I have so much more to say!


I love and miss everyone !!


Pumpkin juice and love!!


Jillian xo